Shockoe is dedicated to great user-centered design, technical innovation, and a team-based work culture. We are focused on redefining how organizations empower users in the digital world, and we’re looking for an interface designer to join our product design team. If you are up for the challenge of working at one of the best technology companies in Richmond, we encourage you to apply.
Being a UI Designer at Shockoe
At Shockoe, we thrive on the satisfaction and thrill of seeing your creations in our user’s hands. Working at Shockoe you will have the autonomy and voice to make this happen just about as quickly as you are able to work. Unlike many other places, you will have ownership over your work and limited hoops to jump through. We pride ourselves on being fast and accurate. The design team at Shockoe is responsible for defining the complete user experience, from research and ideation through implementation and iteration based on objectives and key results. We work using the agile methodology and believe in lean principles. We do our very best to validate assumptions with various types of testing but also work on a fair amount of experience-based intuition.
We’re looking for someone with a strong visual background and a love for details that is capable of delivering polished, pixel-perfect designs quickly and iteratively. You will be responsible for bringing the visual and interaction design to life in fresh, crisp and effective ways. No one expects you to nail it the first time, but you should be able to get ideas out quickly.
At Shockoe, there are no creative monkeys. Rather than crank out exactly what we’re told we work as a team to fully understand the problem our clients are looking to solve and hold ourselves accountable every day to making something that we – and they – are proud to put our name on.
You will work with a team of strategy, UX, and development professionals to design, develop, and enhance products for some of the best brands in the world. With the products you create, you will impact people’s lives by providing them with solutions that result in “how did I even do this before.”
Life at Shockoe
- Throughout the day, you will collaborate with your cross-functional project teammates, clients, and fellow designers.
- The design team meets weekly for internal reviews and bi-weekly for process improvement and a good hang.
- Modern and supportive workplace: snacks, coffee, weekly lunch and learns (Shockoe provided), ping-pong, self-organized sports teams, company outings, and overall good conversation.
- A core value of ours is ‘got your back’, and it is real. We support each other.
- Flexible schedule. We keep standard hours, but as long as you handle your work and are there for your team, it’s all good. We understand work/life balance.
- Dedicated budget for ongoing learning and conferences. We are committed to improving ourselves and our work every day.
- Dog-friendly office (except for John, one of our developers. He’s a bit allergic)
You can consistently
- Keep up with emerging trends in areas related to contemporary UI design and UX strategies.
- Design visually attractive and usable mobile applications for Android, iOS and cross-platform frameworks.
- Be comfortable designing for web, branding, and iconography.
- Organize files and layers for collaborating and passing off design work amongst peers.
- Create tailored, intuitive information architecture by developing sitemaps, wireframes, and prototypes that are based on the industry’s best standards.
- Effectively communicate design ideas and specifications to your dev mates.
- Communicate with your team and clients regarding timelines, expectations, and deliverables.
- Someone who believes that design can affect change in the world and who constantly strives to improve yourself.
- A strong team player and confident working with strategists, developers, and fellow designers to build a product you’re proud of.
- A source of inspiration, always raising the benchmark for quality work.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch and prototyping platforms.
- Comfortable interacting with both clients and users.
- Able to meet deadlines and follow (or question) design briefs.
- Familiar with design systems and building scalable designs.
- Someone who can prioritize, but also sweats the details.
- A strong portfolio that shows off your digital interface designs that are both beautiful and functional.
- Minimum 1-3 years working in a visual creative role at a professional organization (preferred).
- Experience with Material Design and Human Interface Guidelines.
- A clear understanding of visual design and UI design fundamentals.
- Worked on wireframes or designs for at least one iOS or Android App (preferred).
- If you read this and are concerned you don’t check all the boxes, write us anyway. We’re more interested in kickass human beings than a set of requirements.
This position is located at our Richmond, VA office. We are not able to offer remote work at this time.
At this time, Shockoe cannot transfer nor sponsor a work visa for this position. Applicants must be authorized to work directly for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship. In addition, we are not open to contract or “corp to corp” agreements.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org